Saturday, February 19, 2011

The New Date Night

Tonight was dinner with friends, and the last time that most of us will see each other with deployments, TDY's, training, and our move to Las Vegas in just over a month. It was a nice dinner with 6 friends, a three month old, and our son Jack who really tested his lungs over spumoni and drinks.

We're still working on the 'indoor voice' lesson. I'll let you know how that goes.

Soon the dinner came to a close and we all parted ways, but Reed and I don't get out much, so we decided to get in the car and just drive. I like these nights. We sit in the car, listening to tunes, holding hands and drive, taking the roads less traveled and watching time and streetlamps whip by.

There's not much to do in Spokane at 7:30 pm when you have a one year old in tow, especially one passed out in the backseat making cute little sighs and rubbing his nose. Apparently its frowned upon to leave your kid in the car when its 34 degrees outside to run in for shots of Patron and really bad Karaoke.

So we decided on Sonic for dessert, where we could sit there and enjoy our frozen sugar treats and just cherish the peace and quiet.

Reed pulled in to a slip, rolled down the window and ordered a hot fudge sundae for him, and a Butterfinger Sonic Blast for me.

Sidenote: Is anyone anatomically proportioned so that you can sit in your SUV, order, AND PAY at their little curbside cardswipe station? Even Inspector Gadget has to marvel at the wtfery of the ergonomics.

Back to the story.

We're waiting for our order to come, and we open the moon roof. Nothing like a nighttime stop at the drive in, with romantic incandescent lighting. Then it hit us that its 34 degrees outside, so the moon roof was quickly closed.

Regardless, Reed leaned over, kissed me on the cheek, took my hand, and slouched into his seat with a contented grin on his face. We sat like that, peacefully, until our order arrived.

Sidenote #2: I don't tip the waitresses at Sonic unless they come out on roller skates. Perhaps that's mean, but why else go to Sonic if its not for the HOLY SHIT ITS A GALLON sized Cherry Limeades and the promise of seeing someone wobble their way out to my car?

Honestly? Best damned dessert I've had in a while. And I shared it with my wonderful husband and the adorable snoring seat warmer in the back.

But what really got to me was when Reed takes the cherry off his sundae and plops it on top of my Sonic Blast.

"Don't you want the cherry?" I said.
"Nah. You have it."
"I thought you liked cherries?"
"I do. But I know you love them."

Who knew you could say "Hey babe. I love you." with a tiny fruit ball on a stem?

The New Date Night is definitely a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment